Monday, August 12, 2013

Quarts, pints, and freezer bags


A few days off = lots of canning, freezing, and storing for the winter. In a way, kind of makes me sound like a squirrel! 
    It took Darin and I two evenings to finish bagging 66 quarts of sweet corn. I hadn't picked sweet corn in a long time. When we were kids, we picked all the time and sold it as a little summer project. Well, dad and I picked bucket after bucket, and thanks goodness for an electric knife or I would still be cutting corn off the cob!! Thanks Jamie for this tip: use the inside of an angel food pan to  set the corn on and then cut it off- the corn will fall straight into the pan. 
   
 
After corn last night, I ended up staying up late and making 4 batches of salsa. I ended up with way more than I thought- 4 quarts & 12 pints! Thank you gma for teaching me over the years how to make it! Biggest tip - thank the lids when they pop to signal they are sealed! 
     
Countless gallons of blackberries. Time consuming to pick but worth every second! Blackberry pie- my favorite! 
   
  Who could forget the green beans?!?! We still have blooms so I anticipate more picking days but 14 quarts already hold a spot in my pantry. 
     
White peaches- the newest fruit I've tried..... And delicious!!! Thanks Danny! A white peach pie they turned into. This was my first attempt at a peach pie and I'd have to say, I'll def do it again!! 
    

Despite a couple pesky critters ( 2 opossums to be exact) we have had a wonderful year for fruits and veggies. Clark the skunk loves it too because he eats all the scraps! 

Gardening and canning is a passion of mine. If you have tips or tricks that you would like to share, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment