Saturday, October 5, 2013

Go Be Love


1 month. 2 countries. 9 team members. 1 God. 

We leave in 31 days for Ethiopia and Uganda. It has finally set in and feels real. This is no longer a trip a few months away, and I can no longer say, "I'll have to pick up that up when the time gets closer." - The time IS closer, the time IS here! I think it really hit me when I received our team shirt and luggage tag in the mail. I looked at it and thought, "This is really going to happen, I'm really going back to Africa." 

With my luggage tag arriving, I figured it was time to get my suitcase down and start deciding what all I am going to take. I plan to pack as minimal as possible for myself, and as much as possible for the orphans. We found out that there is a huge need for flip flops and crocks. Many do not own a pair of shoes. If they are lucky enough to have a pair of shoes, more than likely the size is not correct and/or the left and right may not match. I saw this first hand last year in Kenya. Being the bargain shopper I am, I made it my mission to find deals, sales, and clearance flips flops and crocks. Since it was the end of the summer season, I had wonderful luck finding those orange and red clearance stickers!!! With the help of a few who donated money for the shoes, kind store managers who brought the prices down even more and allowed me to clear some shelves (which was an awesome feeling) and yard sales full of flip flops, this is what we ended up with; 
     Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! 

Along with all the shoes, we also have 2 boxes full of books to take to the orphanages thanks to Random House Books. I am excited to see the children's faces when they get to open and hold a brand new book- more than likely something they have never done before. How many times have I opened a brand new book? There are many in this world who have never even seen a book! It's just another eye opener to the many things I take for granted on a daily basis. I can not wait to get these books in the hands of the little ones and start reading to them!! 


      Books. Books. And More Books!! 


This week our team started a 5 week Bible study to prepare our hearts for this life changing adventure. The study is called A Discipleship Journey. We had our first conference call, and I was grateful to come together as a team for the first time. It's amazing how God has brought our team together - we attend different home churches, are from different states, have different jobs; yet are connected in some way to be part of the team! This week, our study was on "Knowing God." This quote by Sanders really made me look at my life and the choices I make in the priorities of my life. This trip for me is definitely going to be more than just a trip to visit orphans......

“We are at this moment as close to God as we really choose to be.
True, there are times when we would like to know a deeper intimacy,
but when it comes to the point, we are not prepared to pay the price involved.”
J. Oswald Sanders, 1902-1992, New Zealand Theologian and Missionary Leader




No comments:

Post a Comment