Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bank experience

So we walked downtown Monday to exchange money at the bank. There were only 7 people in the exchange line. That was great compared to the 75+ in the regular teller line! I guess going to the bank is an all day process in Kenya! So we stood there for about 45 min before they found out the computer was down. So we left and went to another bank. There was also another huge line but since I was only doing an exchange, I was able to step to the front. He checked every $20.00 bill I gave him very thoroughly and they were all okay (thanks britt for taking time to find them!) So he did the exchange, he said I didn't need a receipt, and we left. We made it back in time for lunch, and during lunch the guard for where we are staying came up and asked me if I had been to a certain bank downtown. I said yes. Then he asked if I exchanged $. I said yes. He said there was a man from the bank at the gate and there was a problem. We were all a little concerned. So a group of us went to meet him and he had given me too much $. He had converted with euros instead of dollars. So I gave him back the difference in money and was so thankful it wasn't any other type of problem! What an experience! 100 shilling = about $1.20

No comments:

Post a Comment