Friday, November 8, 2013

Rice & Beans

On our first day with the children, we had the chance to serve and feed lunch. I have never seen so much rice in my life! We scooped the rice into a bowl, poured some beans and juice on top, and passed it down a line until it reached a child. It didn't hit me until I walked around that there were no spoons or forks - fingers work just fine. Once the children were done, we collected the plates and helped with dishes. Doing dishes - wow- No sink, no dish rag, no running water, and a bar of soap. Water is brought up by buckets and placed into a collection bin, it is used sparingly. We put a small amount of water in a bin to wash, then put dishes in another small bin to rinse, and then set the dishes on a table made of some kind of bamboo. Ryan had to scoop the water from the collection bin and into the rinsing bin with a coffee cup! Deanne and Micah washed (they used a cut piece of a seed sack as a wash rag), and I rinsed. The set up for cooking the rice and beans was not what I was expecting- just look at the picture - I can't even describe it! Even though, I was happy to be able to provide for these children. For some, it may have been their only meal for the day - for others, possibly their only meal for the week. 







Matthew 25:35-40

New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment